Fun still life photography ideas
Coming up with interesting and fun still life photography ideas is a challenge that every photographer experiences. That’s why we’ve done the hard work for you and listed our favourites!
Whether you use all or some of these ideas, we’re sure that they’ll help to get your creative juices flowing and inspire you to pick up your camera.
Still life themes
The problem with still life is that there’s literally no end to the possibilities… and that can be overwhelming! We try to overcome this by working with themes to channel our creativity more effectively. For example:
- Nature - you can go out and look for subjects in the natural world to shoot or bring objects home and create still life sculptures from the things that you find.
- Colours - we love creating still life images from things of the same colour! You can use different tones, textures and sizes to build interesting shapes or create a still life collage from all of the images you make.
- Say it with words - writing messages with sweets, biscuits and things you find in the kitchen is great fun… and you get to snack on the tasty treats afterwards! You can also add words with food to all sorts of creative still life sets – these are especially well-received by kids!
- Be creative with one subject - one of our favourite still life photography ideas is to choose one subject (flowers, for example) and come up with as many ideas as possible – don’t be afraid to let your imagination go wild!
- The night sky - use buttons, salt, sugar and other small things to create images of the night sky. You’ll need some big sheets of matt black paper and lots of patience, but it’s well worth the effort!
- Up in smoke - if you’re feeling really creative, you can use toys and models to build scenes a bit like movie sets. Lego and Star Wars figures work great for this! You can take this to the next level using smoke bombs and incense sticks (or even small controlled fires) to add some reality to the scenes, but be careful!
- Mix them up! - combining ideas is a brilliant way to come up with something new, so don’t be afraid to mix some of these concepts together – you never know what you’ll end up with!
We hope that your creativity has been sparked into life by our still life photography ideas, and you take some images you love enough to hang on your wall as canvas prints!